Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Building the Set

I am building the set now.

We bought the foam and glue in Home Depot, and I shaped my foam with a little hand saw. Then glue them on the table top with white glue.




I want the world to be covered with fabric. I went to Jo-Ann to buy fabric and I found felt in ground color, yellow-ish brown. I couldn't find the green color I wanted so I bought the iDye Poly.

Dying fabric was definitely a very difficult and tired job. With a big pot of boiling water, the fabric that was cut into reasonable size was totally soaked in colored water. The fabric dye was so stinky. However, we couldn't leave the window open because we will have unpleasant guests, termite, fly in.
boiling water with fabric color dye

pre-wet fabric and put it in the pot

air dry

The result was pretty good actually.  Green : Yellow : Blue = 4:1:1/2. +intensifier

Glue the fabric to table is another hard test. I mixed white glue with water as 1:1, and brush it on the set. Felt was not very cooperate. I tried to press it down and pin it...and the white glue went  through at some spot that made the fabric looks very ugly.

I mixed paint into the glue and then did the same thing on other table. The felt looks much nicer:)
measure the fabric over the table

mix color into glue

try puppet on it


After finished the big tables, we found out super 77 was much easier to hold fabric onto the foam...

No comments:

Post a Comment